Do you want to be a volunteer?
The Fundación Elena Barraquer team is part of the surgical care expeditions. It consists of an ophthalmologist surgeon, a clinical ophthalmologist, an anesthetist, an instrumentalist and field assistants.
The technical staff are volunteers with the corresponding specialty to perform their function, but the field assistants are volunteers who do not need to have a specific degree.
Aspirants surgeons on our expeditions. The first time, regardless of their experience, they will participate as consulting ophthalmologists. This way they will be able to see how the day to day work, rhythm of work, patient processes, complications of surgeries, etc., works.
Once there, they will perform some surgery to test the resources we have.
The first day (Sunday) we unpack all the luggage and set up the surgery room. It usually takes about 4-6 hours.
From Monday through Friday the schedule is approximately the following, but it may vary depending on the country/hospital:
- 06:30 – Breakfast
- 07:00 – Departure from the accommodation
- 08:00 – Set up the surgery room
- 08:30 / 09:00 – Begin with surgeries
- 14:00 – Lunch break
- 14:30 – Reassemble the surgery room and start surgeries until the last patient is finished
- After the last patient tidy up the surgery room, return to the accommodation and have dinner
On the last day (Saturday), check the last patients operated on Friday, dismantle the surgery room and pack all the equipment.
- To cost the plane ticket to the country, as well as the internal tickets within the same. The volunteer agrees to travel with the Fundación Elena Barraquer team, who will buy the ticket and the volunteer must pay the amount in the following account: Banc de Sabadell _ ES 51 0081 5084 0400 0154 1460 specifying his name and expedition. The amount of the tickets is not refundable in case the volunteer decides not to travel at last.
- Provide all the necessary documentation, as indicated, within the indicated period.
- Have a passport with a minimum expiration of 1 year.
- To have valid all the vaccines required by the country of destination.
- Send document confirming NEGATIVE PCR carried out 48 hours before the trip.
- Have the Covid-19 vaccine.
- Avoid the week before departure high risk interaction.
- Adapt to possible discomforts or situations.
- Give the right image during the journeys and the stay in the workplace. Remember is representing the Fundación Elena Barraquer.
- Be responsible for the roles and responsibilities you will perform.
- Hold the pace of work.
- Remember that we are not going on vacation or sightseeing.
- Follow the guidelines of the expedition leader.
- Sign the following documents before the departure: Personal data form, voluntary commitment, informed consent and confidentiality clause.